Frederick Dukes was a former soldier who became a wrestler. After being captured by HYDRA during the start of the HYDRA War, he was injected with an experimental enhancement drug which gave him mass, strength, resilience, and making his body indestructibility obese. Now known as Blob, Dukes was brainwashed into working for HYDRA, but at some point, he made his encounter with Iron Man and the Hulk and was defeated by the two Avengers.
Imprisoned in a facility, Frederick underwent months of treatment to be rid of HYDRA's brainwashing. He was later freed at the time when the Sokovia Accords went into place, but had refused to register. Becoming a fugitive again, Frederick was recruited into the ranks of the Dark Avengers, a team of vigilantes that go against the law and fight crime on their own in different parts of the worlds.
Powers and Abilities
The Blob's mutant powers were related to the mass, strength, resilience, and indestructibility of his obese body.
- Superhuman Durability and Strength: The Blob's body possesses a high degree of resistance to injury. The fat tissues that comprise the Blob's epidermis are able to absorb the impact of rifle bullets, cannonballs, bazooka, and even torpedoes. The fat tissue of his epidermis is resilient enough to revert to its normal shape within seconds after deformation caused by impact. It is virtually impervious to physical injury. The Blob's skin cannot be punctured or lacerated by most known materials, frostbitten, or ravaged by any skin disease, due in part to the skin's greatest elasticity and toughness and in part to the highly accelerated rate at which his skin cells grow and replace themselves. It is not yet known if there is an upper limit to the Blob's ability to absorb impact. He could easily survive a head-on collision with a bus traveling at a hundred miles per hour, even a highly ferrous meteorite fifty feet in diameter on top of him at terminal velocity.
- Pain Immunity: The Blob's nerve endings do not relay any tactile perception to his brain, which is near the threshold of pain, which makes it so that he is unable to feel pain.
- Trapping: Blob is able to capture anything that attacks him within his flesh, including limbs and projectiles. He is able to control how long he holds the object and releasing it with or without the recoil pressure. However, it takes the Blob’s full concentration and focuses on trapping an object or individual, and if he were to focus on something else or get distracted by an attack from another person, he would lose control of his muscles and release who or whatever he was holding with his body.
- Projectile Redirection: After Blob's body absorbs the kinetic energy of a projectile's impact, he can expel the object back. For example, if a projectile was shot at him, it would be embedded within the Blob’s body and by flexing the muscles where the projectile is at, he can cause the projectile to recoil with half the force of impact, reflecting it back at half speed. The Blob can also recoil a punch thrown at him and throw the opponent back a good distance.
- Mass Shifting: Through training with Onslaught and Sledge, Blob is able to manipulate his mass to mimic shape-shifting, using it to enhance the size of his limbs and extending them. He can make his fists the size of a human.
The Blob is a formidable hand to hand combatant. Although he possesses no formal training, his great size coupled with his strength and resistance to injury render him a highly efficient and effective street fighter.
The Blob possesses the strength of a man of his age, height, and build who engages in no regular exercise.